Thursday, November 1, 2007

Apple Pecan Cobbler (or Cobblah as we say here in RI)

Stop. Apple time.

Again....

I made this dessert on my husband's birthday a couple of weeks ago and we ate it for breakfast. Certainly not the breakfast of champions, but it was at least the breakfast of birthday celebrators... ;-)

I should note that the original recipe (found on allrecipes.com) called for standard granulated sugar, but since we were having my parents and in-laws over that night for dinner and my father-in-law is diabetic and cannot eat cake, I knew he'd be having a slice of this instead. I have to say it was still delish even with the Splenda. I always have Splenda - both the white sugar variety and the brown sugar blend in my cabinet because of him and you know what? Sometimes I even use it when I'm not making something for my father-in-law - it is a great way to save calories!! (Public service announcement over).

Apple Pecan Cobbler

4 cups thinly sliced apples
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup chopped pecans


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease a 2 quart baking dish.

Arrange apple slices in an even layer in the baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup Splenda, cinnamon, and 1/2 cup pecans. Sprinkle mixture over apples.

In a medium bowl, mix together flour, 1 cup Splenda, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together egg, evaporated milk, and melted butter. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture all at once, and stir until smooth. Pour mixture over apples, and sprinkle top with 1/4 cup pecans.

Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes.

2 comments:

Joe and Samantha said...

Oooh. I want to try this.
I'll let you know how I do!

Joe and Samantha said...

OOoh! This looks awesome.
I'm going to try it next week.
Love ya!
Samantha