Friday, April 4, 2008

Steak and Pasta De-Lite

"Well, it really has been awhile since we've had red meat..."

That's what my husband said about a month ago when I was telling my parents how I find I am cooking healthier than ever, sticking mostly to chicken, pork, and fish and reaching for ground turkey before ground beef more often than not in recent months. I then pointed out how expensive red meat, even ground beef, seems to be these days. His statement, indeed, was a small cry out to me to bring back the red meat to our meals a little more often.

I am a lucky girl, my husband is not one to demand supper on the table by a certain time, or something fancy, he doesn't even put in special requests - ever. He is just as happy with a grilled cheese sandwich and can of soup as he would be with a meal I've spent all day preparing. He is always open-minded about my latest creations, he usually gives me his opinion on it - good or bad - in the most loving way possible, and even though he can be a little picky with certain foods I have to give him credit that he is always willing to try something before writing it off completely. So the fact that he had not said a peep about the apparent lack of red meat in our diets as of late did not surprise me. In fact I hadn't really realized how long it had been really. This conversation was his opportunity to subtly ask for more read meat.

I found a recipe on myrecipes.com for Sirloin Steak and Pasta Salad recently that sounded great and I set out to make it. Then made a whole bunch of modifications to it, so I'll say that my dish which I call Steak and Pasta De-Lite (because it's on the healthier side) - was inspired by it. My hubby loved it and requested to have it again soon - even if he picked the peppers off and put them aside (more for me!).


And I almost forgot!




I am submitting this as hopefully the first of several entries to Presto Pasta Nights which is a great weekly event held by Ruth at Once Upon a Feast. She posts roundups every Friday so check it out all of the great pasta dishes up there, they are positively "drool-able" (there I go making up words again!)


And on a quick side note, don't forget about the blog event my friend Danielle and I are hosting - Recipe Remix! Check out details here for more info!

Steak & Pasta De-Lite

2 cups uncooked fusilli whole grain pasta (I used Ronzoni)
1 (3/4-pound) boneless sirloin steak, trimmed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
2 diced scallions
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
2 diced celery stalks (leaves removed)
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Preheat broiler.

While the broiler preheats, bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add pasta; cook 5 1/2 minutes. Drain and rinse pasta with water.


Mix garlic powder, pepper, and onion powder. Sprinkle on steak. Place on a broiler pan; broil 3 inches from heat 10 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning after 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.

Combine scallions (reserving about a 1/4 cup of the diced green part of the scallion) and next 9 ingredients (onion through Italian Seasoning) in skillet. Saute ingredients until vegetables soften a bit on medium-low heat. Add mixture to drained pasta and toss lightly. Take sliced beef and lay atop pasta in a large plate. Sprinkle lightly with parmesan cheese and reserved scallions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Robin, just wanted to let you know I love reading your blog! Especially when I'm having a particularly stressful day, like the last few have been. I'm definitely going to steal some of your recipes :)

Jenn

That Girl said...

I love whole wheat pasta - and I'm lucky enough to have a husband that enjoys it also!

Robin said...

We love whole wheat pasta too, Kate! :-)

Ruth Daniels said...

It does look delightful! And thanks for sharing with Presto pasta Nights. I do hope to see you at our roundups often...meat or no.