Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Potato, Sausage, and Apple Saute

You know how sometimes during the day at work you get hungry and start day dreaming about what's for dinner that night.

And then the next day you catch yourself day dreaming about it again because it was just that good?

This recipe is one of those meals - at least for my husband and I!

I have made this recipe numerous times since Diana (check out her beautiful photography blog!), from my local nest board, shared it with us. For some reason have never blogged about it and I don't know why.

The ingredients are a perfect blend of flavors - some sweet from the apple to counteract the saltiness of the sausage, etc. It's also easy to make! Can't go wrong with easy, right?

I've only made a few of my own personal modifications. I swear it is even better reheated (if you even have any leftovers). Unfortunately there is no picture for this one, as my husband and I were starved by the time I got home from running errands last night and couldn't eat fast enough. Alas, maybe I'll take a picture next time!

Potato, Sausage, and Apple Saute
(From Diana)

2 Tablespoon(s) olive oil
1 small diced yellow onion
1 Pound(s) bulk/links/casing removed/sweet Italian sausage
1 1/2 Pound(s) diced russet potato, diced and cooked
2 large diced apple
1 Dash(s) salt
1 Dash(s) black pepper
2 Tablespoon(s) ketchup
1 Tablespoon(s) Dijon mustard
1/2 Teaspoon(s) dried thyme
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 Tablespoon(s) water

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over med-high heat in a large non-stick skillet. When oil is hot, add onion & sausage & cook, stirring to break up sausage, until sausage is golden brown & broken into 1/2" pieces. Place cooked sausage & onions into a colander to drain.

Add the remaining oil, the potatoes, & the apple to the skillet, season with salt & pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown.

Mix ketchup, mustard, thyme, garlic, & water in a small bowl. Return sausage & onions to the skillet & stir in the ketchup mixture.

Cook, stirring frequently until nicely browned (5 minutes). Season to taste with more salt & pepper before serving.

2 comments:

That Girl said...

If I had apples I totally could have made this for dinner last night

Anonymous said...

Sounds very tasty and delicious - and healthy, too. A bonus! :)