Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Monster Cookies for my cookie monsters...

I've mentioned in this blog previously how I started a trend when my husband works a weekend conversion - the trend of baking cookies for these days. It's a trend that has staying power so when my husband was going to be working again this past weekend I knew cookies were going to be part of the picture.

I asked my husband last week to check if the guys had any requests. The list I got varied from peanut butter cookies, to regular chocolate chip, to oatmeal raisin and oatmeal scotchies, to the sour cream cookies I made a couple months ago for them (which was close to a snickerdoodle) to M&M cookies.

After reading the list I was reminded of a recipe I'd seen on Paula Deen's show a couple months back. I searched the Food Network website and found them - they're called Monster Cookies - a peanut-butter-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-M&M-raisin type of cookie. That pretty much exhausted the list of requests I got so I decided this was the recipe.

Wow, were these good! At first glance, this recipe seems overwhelming with the amount of flavors it contains but I have to say, this was a great combination. I used Hershey's Kissables instead of M&M's but other than that I followed the recipe to a T. My husband said the plate was cleared promptly!

I am also submitting this as my entry to Tasty Tools, Joelen's monthly blogging event. Each month she chooses a new kitchen tool and challenges us to use them. Last month was about the mircoplane grater which I used to make Orange Cream Mimosas for Easter brunch. This month is all about scoops! I use my cookie scoop which I use for so many things besides the obvious but with a busy month ahead of me, I'm going for the obvious submission because I really want to participate and I'm not sure I'll otherwise have the chance to as the month wears on!


Monster Cookies
(from Food Network)


3 eggs
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 12-ounce jar creamy peanut butter
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup multi-colored chocolate candies
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup raisins, optional
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.

In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix well. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and butter. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate candies, chocolate chips, raisins, if using, baking soda, and oatmeal. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand for about 3 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool. When cool, store in large resealable plastic bags.

4 comments:

Stefany said...

I LOVE monster cookies! I like to put coconut in mine, but I use those Kissables too! What a TEASE not showing us the final product!

Memaw's memories said...

These sound yummy! I have to make some.

That Girl said...

I love that these have raisins in them, but I fear my cookie monster won't eat them for exactly the same reason

Robin said...

Kate - neither does my cookie monster so I set aside some of the batter before I added the raisins so I could make him some raisin-less ones. How spoiled is he? ;-)