Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Brownies...in your waffle maker...I'm not kidding!

In a couple of weeks I am hosting a brownie swap among my friends, inspired by none other than Joelen of Joelen's Culinary Adventures. Needless to say, I've been doing a lot of searching for brownie recipes as of late.

I came upon this one from the Food Network and while I didn't think it was good for the swap, I thought it would still be fun to make. I thought this would be a twist on the typical waffle sundae!
These were definitely tasty, but despite them being made in a waffle iron, I think I expected them to be a little more dense and brownie-like. Instead they turned out fluffier, like a brownie flavored waffle. I think next time I will increase the chocolate to yield a fudgier result.

My expectations aside, there's no denying that this was a tasty treat! I am actually also tagging this as a breakfast dish as since it was not overly rich, you could easily serve it in the morning just as well as it can serve as a dessert!

Waffle-Iron Brownies
(from Food Network)
















1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
2 tablespoons milk
2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
Powdered sugar for serving, if desired

Preheat a waffle iron. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. In a small, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, butter and milk. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat. Add the unsweetened chocolate and vanilla. Stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Place into a pan of cold water to cool the mixture to room temperature.
With an electric mixer, beat in the eggs. Gradually blend in the flour mixture until smooth.

Drop rounded spoonfuls of the brownie mixture into the preheated waffle iron. Close the iron and cook for about 2 minutes until the brownies are done. Remove and cool on a rack. Dust with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.

3 comments:

That Girl said...

I honestly think this is a great twist on those belgian waffles topped with ice cream

Anonymous said...

Who would have ever thought about making brownies in the waffle maker.

I think my grandchildren will love this.

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea! It looks delicious.