Sunday, April 13, 2008

Recipe Remix - who said I can't participate in my own blog event?

Yes, I'm participating in Recipe Remix too!

Out of the what I must say is an oustanding list developed by Danielle and I, I picked Franks and Beans.

Why Franks and Beans? Well, honestly, because it made me hungry when Danielle threw the idea out there when we discussing what meals to list for the event. I hadn't had Franks and Beans in quite some time.

After some thought, I decided I wanted to make Franks and Beans into something more portable and classy if I dare say. Yes, friends, even Franks & Beans can be thought of as semi-elegant when they are in a panini!

This can surely be made with any kind of bread, but I opted for some nice sliced round Italian bread fresh from my local bakery. Also, I diced some red onion on my half of this double decker panini, but took a picture of my husband's onion-less side...so use your imagination...


"Franks & Beans Double-Decker Panini"



1 beef kielbasa link, split in half & cooked
1/2 - 3/4 cup baked beans
6 slices American cheese
1/4 cup diced red onion
3 large slices round Italian bread
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 tablespoons spicey brown mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil


To build panini:

Spread butter on one side of 2 slices of the bread.

With the buttered sides of bread facing down, add 3 slices of cheese to each slice of bread. Then spread beans evenly the 2 slices of bread topped with cheese (feel free to mush them up a little for spreadability). Then top these 2 slices of bread evenly with mustard and diced onion.

Cut kielbasa into pieces so that they can fit on each slice of bread. Cover one side with the 3rd slice of bread, then carefully flip second half of kielbasa-bean-cheese-bread onto this slide of bread to make the sandwich a "double decker."

Add olive oil to pan preheated to medium heat. Carefully place double decker panini into pan (warning, this sucker is heavy!). Cook on each side pressing down with panini press (or heavy pan in my case if you still haven't gotten yourself a panini press) until outsides are golden brown and cheese is melted.

Cut in half and enjoy!

3 comments:

That Girl said...

I've never had frank and beans - but the idea of a sandwich makes it more appealing!

Anonymous said...

My arteries are convulsing just thinking about this sandwich. But it sure sounds good.

Unknown said...

mmmm looks delish. I've never had franks and beans before either...