Friday, October 12, 2007

Do you like my pickle?

I'll surely have a whole post about apples at some point....but I am going to aggregate all of those recipes into one post. Let's put it this way. My husband and I picked 20.5lbs of apples last weekend....I have been VERY busy using them up....so I've got a lot to share....but that's for another day.

In the meantime, here's another random recipe that has been missed the past 2 months that I haven't posted. It's for pickles. Yup! Pickles.

I made these recently and I packed a jar for us at home (which is almost finished) and my parents easily finished their jar in less than a week's time.

Sweet Freezer Pickles

2 pounds unpeeled, sliced cucumber
1/2 slided medium red onion
1 medium red bell pepepr
1 finely chopped stalk of celery
3 carrots, quartered lengthwise into 3 inch pieces
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon of hot pepper flakes (optional)

Combine all ingrediuents in large bowl. Mix well. Place in 1 gallon resealable food storage bag. Seal tightly, releasing excess air. Freeze at least 24 hours.

Remove from freezer. Thaw and room temperature. Pour into large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate (flavors improve if thawed then allowed to stand 2 days in refrigerator). May store up to 3 weeks in refrigerator or 1 year in freezer.

You can serve these just like any other bread and butter pickle, or chop before serving to make relish.

No comments: