Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Apple of my eye....

Apples....20.5 pounds of them....when you have that many you need to come up with a lot of uses for them.

This is just the first of a few recipes I'll be sharing that are apple related. I made THREE of these after we went apple picking - one stayed home, one went to work, one went to my husband's grandparents' house. And I have to say, it was really enjoyed by everyone. I even made it with Splenda in place of sugar 2 out of 3 of those times and it still tasted fab. So without further ado I give you.....


Apple Crumb Pie
(from allrecipes.com)











1 9 inch deep dish pie crust

5 Cup(s) thinly sliced, peeled, cored apples

1 Tablespoon(s) plus 1/2 cup, divided flour

1/2 Cup(s) plus 1/3 cup, divided sugar

3/4 Teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon

6 Tablespoon(s) butter

1/2 Teaspoon(s) nutmeg (optional)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place apples in a large bowl and add 1 tablespoon of flour. Mix well so apples are coated. Arrange apple slices in unbaked pie shell. Mix ½ cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.

In another bowl, mix 1/3 cup sugar with remaining flour and nutmeg. Cut in butter until crumbly. Spoon mixture over apples.

Bake in preheated oven 35 to 40 minutes or until apples are soft and top is lightly browned.

No comments: