Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Deli-Stuffed Eggwich

So I got myself some new cookbooks recently - "Nigella Express" (wow, it looks fabulous, can't wait to try some recipes out of that!) and Rachael Ray's "Just in Time." (Yes, Rachael Ray, Dani, I know you are cringing right now hahaha!).

Well one of the recipes in RR's book caught my attention immediately - "Deli Stuffed Eggwiches" - I thought it was a perfect quick meal idea (which it should be, after all, that is her "thing"). I decided to give it a go the other day for quick and easy lunch. This got rave reviews from the hubby who gave his "eggwich" two thumbs up. I'll definitely making them again, trying it with different meats and condiments. For this one I used some honey mustard on the sandwich. I also want to try different breads (I used a Kaiser roll for this one - RR called for regular bread). Really the options on this sandwich are endless. I tell you, this recipe makes me want a panini press even more than I already did!

So here's my version.....

Deli Stuffed Eggwich
(adapted from Rachael Ray's Deli-Stuffed Eggwiches from "Just in Time")

1 egg
Splash of milk
Salt & pepper
1/2 teaspoon honey
1 Kaiser roll
4 slices of deli ham
2 slices of sharp cheddar
Honey Mustard (amount of which is up to you)
1/2 tablespoon butter

In a shallow bowl beat egg, milk, honey, and salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.*

Spread honey mustard on one side of each bun slice generously. With spread sides facing in, make sandwiches of ham and cheese.

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Dip sandwich in egg mixture - at least 30 seconds on each side allowing egg mixture to soak into bread a bit - and place on skillet. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until deeply golden brown and warmed through (cheese should be melty). Halve the sandwich and serve hot.

(*Note: I only made one sandwich at the time and had plenty of egg mixture leftover to make at least 1 to 2 more).

1 comment:

Joe and Samantha said...

that looks AWESOME.
I love Rachel...if only I was so talented.