Thursday, January 3, 2008

Chocolate Covered Oreo Cookie Cake

I found this recipe in my last edition of the seasonal Kraft Foods magazine I get and bookmarked it for another time. Well that time was New Year's Eve/Day. I brought it to my husband's grandparents' house on New Year's Eve and the next day it was completely gone (family members gather there on both days). I probably should have made 2 while I was at it, it was so easy! I've made some slight modifications to this recipe (tried to make it a bit healthier, not that this is by any means healthy ha!) so that is how it is posted here. However, I'm borrowing the picture from the Kraft Foods website since I neglected to take one of my own and I feel as though this is the kind of recipe that a visual is really helpful.


Chocolate Covered Oreo Cookie Cake
(recipe and picture from Kraftfoods.com)

1 pkg. (2-layer size) devil's food chocolate cake mix
4 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cut up
1 pkg. (8 oz.) 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 8oz tub thawed light Whipped Topping
12 OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, coarsely crushed

Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on package in two 9-inch round baking pans. Cool 5 min.; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks. Trim cakes if needed so that they will lie flat when placed on a serving platter.

Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping and crushed cookies. Place one cake layer, top-side down, on serving plate. Spread top of layer evenly with cream cheese mixture. Cover with remaining cake layer, top-side up.

Microwave chocolate and butter in small microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool 5 min. Spoon chocolate glaze over top of cake. Let stand until set. Store in refrigerator.

No comments: