Sunday, January 6, 2008

Dad finally gets his Chicken & Dumplings

For as long as I can remember, my father has been asking my mother to make chicken and dumplings for him. According to him, she's never made them in their almost 30 years of being married. Last winter I had discovered this chicken and dumplings recipe and made it myself a couple of times and even shared the recipe with my mother (who claims I never did). Still, no chicken and dumplings for Dad.

Well, we had my parents over for lunch yesterday and guess what? Dad got his chicken and dumplings.

The recipe as it is written here, calls for onions, which I left out yesterday (but normally would use). I also used 98% fat free cream of chicken yesterday. To make up for lost taste, I added a few spices to this recipe, and I also added baby carrots to make it a balanced meal (meat, veggies, and carbs!). Celery would probably be great in this too.


Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
(as adapted from allrecipes.com)

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
2 tablespoons butter
2 cans 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
1 finely diced onion (I used 1/2 tsp onion powder yesterday instead)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 teaspooon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt plus a dash
2 packages of large buttery biscuit dough, torn into pieces

Place all ingredients in 6 quart slow cooker and stir to mix. Fill with enough water to cover ingredients.

Cover and cook 4 to 5 hours on low (if you leave the chicken breasts whole, which the original recipe calls for, cook 5 to 6 hours on high).

About 30 minutes before serving, tear biscuit dough into 1 to 2 inch pieces and place on top of ingredients in slow cooker being sure to cover entirely with biscuit pieces (tear your biscuit dough as you go, since most likely you will not need the entire 2 cans). Sprinkle a dash of salt on top of biscuit layer. Place cover back on slow cooker for 30 minutes or until dough is no longer raw in the center.

No comments: