Thursday, December 27, 2007

Crab, Carrots, Christmas...I guess I like the letter "C"

I mentioned in an earlier post how Christmas Eve isn't a huge food affair in my family. It's mostly centered around Meat Pie but I always serve at least one other food item on that night. Usually it's a "standalone" - in other words, it's not something that needs an additional side dish of any sort.


In my adventures for looking for something different to make for the "standalone" (in the past when my parents' hosted my mother would make meatballs or lasagna or something to that effect), I wanted something a little different and stumbled upon this Crab Quiche recipe. I asked some friends what they thought and they were so-so about the idea and, so was I. When I think quiche I tend to think breakfast so I pondered some other ideas that were given to me (thanks, Janine, you always have the best ideas). But I just couldn't get over this crab quiche obsession I had, so, I just sucked it up and made it and I was pretty happy with the result - this would obviously make probably an even better brunch menu item. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com but made a some moderations (which is how it appears below). If anything, it needed a tad more seasoning, but now I at least know for next time. Also, I think next time I will add another egg or two and just up the cook time for a bit. The pie plate seemed as though it could have been "fuller." (p.s. I have to laugh at the picture below, for some reason I cut 2 slices....one is like "baby slice" hahaha).


Crab Quiche
(from allrecipes.com)

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 6 oz can lump crab meat
1 cup shredded mozzarella
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon celery salt
½ teaspoon onion powder
Pinch of cinnamon
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, mayonnaise, flour, and milk until thoroughly blended. Stir in crab, cheese, and onion. Spread into pie shell.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.




So there's my "first C." My second C is my recipe for Catalina Carrots which is my own creation that I've made several times. I told my mother I'd make a side dish for Christmas day since she had made a 2nd meat pie for Christmas Eve so I volunteered to bring the carrots.


Catalina Carrots

2lbs baby carrots boiled to "al dente" state
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup Catalina salad dressing
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar

Saute minced garlic in olive oil on medium heat until slightly browned. Add carrots and toss thoroughly in olive oil.

After sauteeing carrots for 5-10 minutes, add Italian seasoning and Catalina dressing. Turn heat to a medium-low setting and continue to saute carrots for about 5 minutes. Add brown sugar and saute for another 10 minutes or so until carrots soften up a bit. Serve hot.

No comments: