Monday, December 3, 2007

Cheesy Veggie Rice "Muffins"

The other night I wanted to make a side dish that was a little different from the ordinary. I had seen a recipe long ago for rice "muffins" cooked in a muffin tin and I thought that might be something fun. I kind of "winged it" and came out with this (but unfortunately I forgot to take a picture).


Cheesy Veggie Rice "Muffins"


1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups rice
1/2 cup mixed frozen veggies
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspooon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/4 cups shredded cheese*


Cook rice in boiling water until done. Turn heat to medium-low and add the rest of the ingredients to the pot stirring constantly to ensure cheese and butter melt and are distributed evenly among the rice mixture.


Preheat oven to 350F. Generously spray 9 muffin cups with cooking spray. Place a generous amount of rice mixture into each cup and pack down with the back of a spoon. Lightly spray the top of each "mufin" with cooking spray. Cook in preheated oven for 15 minutes or so, or until rice "muffins" have a very light brown crust on top



*I used a combination of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses since that's what I had on hand in the refrigerator. I think any kind of cheese would do. Add more or less cheese depending on your own tastes*

No comments: