Saturday, October 18, 2008

Say....CHEESE....cake that is!!!

As I mentioned in my previous post, my husband and I stayed in for a quiet night at home on his birthday rather than going out to eat. But since it was his birthday, I of course I had to make him a special dessert!

There are a few dessert elements I know are a hit with my husband at almost any given time:
- Peanut butter
- Mint
- Cheesecake
Obviously not all together though!

With that said, I decided to make a cheesecake, but to celebrate this wonderful fall season I decided on an apple cheesecake. It was delicious and easy...can't go wrong with that! I definitey would not hesitate to make this one again!

As usual I made a couple of changes which I've done below. Also even though the directions say to sprinkle cinnamon & sugar on teh apples after you place them on the cheesecake I actually tossed my apples in the cinnamon and sugar and then placed them on the top of the cheesecake. I thought this was an easier way to ensure an even coating on all of the apples.

Fall Apple Bavarian Cheesecake
(from KraftFoods.com)

1/3 cup butter, melted
1-1/4 cups HONEY MAID Graham Cracker Crumbs
2 pkg. (8 oz. each) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup plus 3 Tbsp. sugar, divided
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs
1 apple, peeled, cored and sliced (I had to use 2 medium-to-large sized apples to cover cheesecake)
1/4 cup Sliced Almonds (I omitted)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix butter and crumbs; press firmly onto bottom and up side of 9-inch pie plate.

Beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup of the sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.

Pour into crust; top with apple slices and almonds. Combine 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and remaining 3 Tbsp. sugar; sprinkle over cheesecake.

Bake 40 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on wire rack. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. Store leftover cheesecake in refrigerator.

1 comment:

amycaseycooks said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'm off to a German/Oktoberfest party this weekend. I think this recipe will be perfect.