Monday, October 27, 2008

Cookies that just scream FALL!

As much as I do love to cook, baking is one of my favorite things to do. I really consider myself more of a baker than a cook. I don't know why, but I just love filling the house up with the oven's warmth and the cozy smells of something fabulous brewing behind that oven door. There is just something so cozy and homey about baking. This is one of the biggest reasons I love the fall. After baking very little all summer due to not wanting to heat up the house, it's a relief for me when cooler weather comes and my baking adventures can resume.

Last week I did quite a bit of baking, for the reasons mentioned above and to a great extent to really keep some warmth in the house since we were holding off as long as possible trying not to turn our furnace on! Long story short, we turned it on last Wednesday but the baked goods were of course worth it. One of the things I baked last week was the Glazed Apple Cookie recipe below.

Apples are my favorite fruit. I love apple pie, apple crisp, apple bread, apple sauce - but a cookie? That's definitely "outside the box." My discovery with this recipe is that it is absolutely awesome to have apples in a cookie!!! These cookies are definitely staying on my list of favorites!


Glazed Apple Cookies
(from AllRecipes.com)

1/2 cup shortening
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 cup apples - peeled, cored and finely diced
1 cup raisins
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 tablespoons half-and-half cream

Beat shortening and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and blend thoroughly.

Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.

Stir half the dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Stir in nuts, apple and raisins, then stir in remaining half of dry ingredients and milk. Mix well.

Drop from tablespoon 1 1/2 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Remove cookies to racks and while still warm, spread with glaze.

To make Glaze: Combine powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and enough cream to make glaze of spreading consistency. Beat until smooth. Spread on warm cookies.

2 comments:

Stephany said...

Robin, these look divine!

Maryanna said...

These look great. Apples are such a good fruit this time of year.