Sunday, March 16, 2008

Everything is better wrapped up in some puff pastry!

I had about a half pound of steak, some leftover sliced mushrooms, and plenty of cheese. With these ingredients in mind, I was going to make regular Philly cheesesteak sandwiches on torpedo rolls, but then I remembered I had a sheet of puff pastry in the freezer. Just like the cartoons, a little animated lightbulb went on above my head. Ok, maybe it wasn't really like a cartoon...but it's more fun to imagine that that's how it happened.

Here's my version of a tasty twist on a regular steak & cheese. I didn't put onions and peppers in this because of my picky husband, but adding them would only make this sandwich that much better.

Admittedly, that's a pretty horrible picture I took of one of the pieces of the "sandwich." I promise you though that your tastebuds will thank you for making this. The photographer just stinks :-)

Mushroom Steak & Cheese Sandwich in Puff Pastry

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup sliced portabello mushrooms
Approximately 1/2 lb steak of your choice (I used top round) cut into slices
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
1 tablespoon Lite Soy Sauce
3/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used a combination of 2 cheeses)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray.

In a medium saute pan, add olive oil and mushrooms. Cook on low/medium heat until tender.

Add steak, pepper, salt, oregano, BBQ sauce, garlic and soy sauce to pan. Saute gently until steak is almost cooked through. Add additional salt and pepper if needed.

Lay puff pastry on lightly greased cookie sheet so that the sides of the puff pastry are over the edges of the pan. Spread half of the shredded cheese down the middle of the pastry, then top with steak mushroom mixture, then the remainder of the cheese.

With damp fingers, pull up edges of the puff pastry to meet in center and pinch closed. Pinch ends of pastry closed as well.

Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden. Slice to serve.

No comments: