Monday, September 29, 2008

Orange Beef

Sunday night we had plans to have my BFF and her husband over for dinner. I had an Asian themed dinner night planned. I should mention that the original date for this dinner was early last month, just under 2 weeks before their wedding. I basically un-invited them the day before because I was the proud new owner of a nasty summer cold and didn't want to get either sick right before their big day.


Yesterday was the make-up date, unfortunately it was their turn to have a snafu courtesy of the weekend long after effects of yet another Tropical Storm here in New England - i.e. they had some not so fun water in the basement.


Since I had already planned on my menu, I decided to make a scaled down version of what I had planned to serve for my husband and I. One of those things was Orange Beef - a recipe from my "Cooking with Mickey" cookbook that I picked up when we were in Disney World this past July, but hadn't made anything out of yet.



This was good, my husband loved it, but to me it wasn't out of this world. I'd make it again though, just not as flavorful as I had imagined it would be.


To cut down on costs, I actually bought some thicker cut shaved steak instead of using flank steak as the recipe calls for, which also cuts down on time since everything was pre-sliced. Anything that saves me time and money is a good thing.


I am not sure what I would do to change this recipe for the next time to give it a little more oomph though....probably adding the optional chili peppers would help. I guess we'll just see what happens when I try it again next!


Orange Beef
(from "Cooking with Mickey")


8 oz flank steak
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup oil
2 scallions, chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup water
2 chili peppers, dry (optional)


Slice flank steak into 1/2 inch strips. Combine cornstartch and flour. Dip steak first into cornstarch/flour mixture, then in beaten egg. Allow to stand for 5 minutes while oil heats in heavy skillet. Brown a few pieces of meat at a time unitl all meat has been cooked. Set aside and keep warm.


In another clean skillet or wok, saute scallions (and chili peppers if used) in a small amount of oil for about 2 minutes. Combine soy sauce, orange juice, sugar, and water and slowly pour into skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minute sor until mixture thickens. Pour over warm beef.

No comments: