Tuesday, September 30, 2008

More veggies than I knew what to do with...

So you know my previous post where I said my friends were not able to come over for dinner?

Well the other result of that was a an overabundance of fresh veggies in my house. For the Asian themed dinner I'd planned I was going to make tempura vegetables. And well now I had a lot of veggies!

I thought that I really needed to make some all of those veggies before they went bad. It would take 2 of us alone too long to get through them. I blanched some of the veggies but for my zucchini I decided to try to make a Zucchini bread. I tried to make this recipe I found a little healthier since there was a lot of oil in the recipe (and no applesauce for me at home to sub with) so I used 1 cup of white sugar & 1 cup of splenda, then used 2 cups all purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour. I also added some nutmeg ane extra cinnamon for more flavor. I also added about an extra 1/4 cup of zucchini due to me getting a little grater happy, but I figured the extra moisture did not hurt.

I forgot something though - baking powder - and realized it too late in the game - OOPS! So these loaves ended up a little dense and flatter but still very much edible and tasty. I brought one loaf into work where it was quickly devoured by my co-workers.

Next time I would add some brown sugar maybe, or even more cinnamon. I still felt like it needed a little more oomph (however the wheat flour and splenda may have cut the oomph factor a tad so I will blame it on me and not the original recipe). Either way, still a keeper!


Zucchini Bread IV
(from AllRecipes.com)

3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar (I subbed and used 1 cup sugar, 1 cup splenda)
2 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour (I used 2 cups AP flour, and 1 cup whole wheat flour)
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I added an additional 1/2 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.

In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nuts; stir into the egg mixture.

Divide batter into prepared pans. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until done. (I used 2, 9x5 inch loaf pans and only needed about 40 minutes of baking time)

1 comment:

That Girl said...

I love zucchini bread! It always reminds me of my mother.