Sunday, September 21, 2008

Jalapeno Cornbread

I just picked some more jalapenos from my garden, but just a few. I think my garden is nearly done for the year. Either way I wasn't sure what to do with them when I remember I've seen a number of jalapeno cornbread recipes floating around. The little lightbulb in my head told me that was a perfect idea since I was going to make a Southwestern Lime Chicken on the grill this week (I will post that recipe next).

This came out great - spicy, but not too spicy. I did not have buttermilk in the house but improvised using some advice from the Land O'Lakes Substitution List - definitely a site to bookmark, I've referred to it several times. Using their suggesting of 1/2 a cup of milk, and a 1/2 a cup of plain yogurt to equal one cup of buttermilk did the trick - and probably made it healthier since I used nonfat yogurt! I also used cooking spray in place of butter for greasing the pan. (p.s. Sorry for the crappy picture!)


Jalapeno Cornbread
(from MarthaStewart.com)

Makes 1 eight-inch square

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup buttermilk
2 medium jalapenos, diced, with seeds
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup sugar

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly butter an 8-inch square pan. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, jalapenos, egg, sugar, and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Add to dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool for 10 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Thanks for the link to the Land O' Lakes substitution list! That's a keeper! :)

That Girl said...

You totally need to pick up some powdered buttermilk. I swear by it.