Sunday, August 24, 2008

Feeling crabby

Crabby for crabcakes that is! Last weekend (yes it has taken me a week to get an update up here) I made some lovely crabcakes via this recipe from Cooking Light. My husband and I love crab but rarely have it but the mood struck me and don't you think that Myrecipes.com sent me a crab cake recipe via it's "daily dish" e-mail. Can we say: Perfect?


Of course I de-Cooking Lighted the recipe a little (yeah, I made that term up...I like it) by adding some mayo. I didn't add much but felt I needed a little more of something to hold the patties together a bit better.


The original recipe also called for diced pimentos which I nixed and diced up some roasted red peppers instead - small of course - so my husband would eat them. As I mentioned before, he will eat onions and peppers as long as he can't see them (*Robin rolls her eyes*).


End result? Yummy crabcakes of course which left us feeling anything but crabby! I served them alongside some steamed broccoli and carrots and some couscous tossed in olive oil. This recipe is definitely going in my pile of keepers!


Crab Cakes with Remoulade
(from MyRecipes.com)


Crab cakes:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 pound lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
1/4 cup diced roasted red peppers
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg

Rémoulade:
1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
2 teaspoons 2% reduced-fat milk
1 teaspoon capers, chopped
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 small garlic clove, minced


To prepare crab cakes, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

Combine breadcrumbs, onions, crabmeat, and pimiento in a medium bowl. Combine mustard, juice, salt, and egg, stirring with a whisk. Add egg mixture to crab mixture, tossing gently to combine. Divide crab mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1-inch-thick patty.

Add crab cakes to skillet; cook 2 minutes. Turn cakes; reduce heat to medium. Cook 3 minutes or until golden brown.

To prepare rémoulade, combine mayonnaise and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Serve with crab cakes.

Yield
4 servings (serving size: 1 crab cake and 2 tablespoons rémoulade)

2 comments:

That Girl said...

I love crab cakes, but mine are never as good as the ones in restaurants

Brooke said...

Yum! I love crab cakes but have neve made them myself. I may have to give these a try.