Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Recipe Remix: Grilled Breakfast Sandwich

It's Recipe Remix time again. This an entry into the second installment of mine and Danielle's adventure - this time the theme was breakfast. There were 6 different foods to choose from - pancakes, french toast, crepes, breakfast sandwiches, eggs benedict, or continental breakfast.


Me, I chose breakfast sandwich because I knew there were so many different ways I could "remix" a typical breakfast sandwich that you would get at a fast food chain. The hardest part was deciding on which direction I wanted to go with it. In the end I decided that I'd pay homage to my grill, yup, that's right, I made a breakfast sandwich on the grill.

Thomas's English Muffins are now making sandwich size "grillers" and that began my grilled breakfast sandwich inspiration. I knew eggs would be involved but, what else? Not ham, not sausauge, not bacon - they are all too predictable. So, I decided on Portuguese Chourico instead!

There is no true recipe for this, more of a method. As my pieces of chourico were grilling, I buttered the outside halves of my english muffins (I had multigrain ones). I actually used melted butter that I seasoned with some garlic powder and onion powder for some extra kick and let those grill away. I finally got to use the side burner of my grill and made the eggs over there (I chose to make the eggs overeasy, but really you could make them however you want). Meanwhile I added American cheese to one side of my muffins and spicy brown mustard. Once the chourico was nice and grilled up I placed it on top, along with the egg and top half of the muffin. The following resulted....



Oh and to add the the "remix" flair of this - we had it for dinner, not breakfast! Who says breakfast sandwiches are just for the morning hours??? Anyway, despite not having an actual recipe, the theme of my entry is it's not only different ingredients that can make a recipe new again, but it can also be the method, which in my case involved grilling!

We have gotten a ton of great entries this time around and are looking forward to posting the roundup sometime next week so keep an eye out for it!

1 comment:

That Girl said...

You took care of dinner, I took care of dessert, and yet we both made breakfast....