Thursday, May 15, 2008

Chili Rubbed Tilapia

Let me just make a confession.

I've never really cooked fish unless it was a meal from Super Suppers. I love to cook my own meals but I always like to have a couple of Super Suppers dinners on hand for those long days when I just don't feel like cooking and usually those meals that I do buy are fish because for some reason I've been apprehensive about cooking fish. And we love fish so it's ashame I don't really make it.

The other night, however, while in the supermarket making a quick run for a few things I needed for the week the mood struck me for fish so I bought some tilapia.

I got it home, and mind you, I was home alone that night as my husband was away on business and now I've decided that I'm making myself fish for dinner merely because I felt like it. Yes, an odd craving to have!

I immediately came online when I got home to look for some inspiration how to season/cook it and I found a recipe for a chili rubbed tilapia that sounded good - and it was - despite the horrid picture in which my fish kind of fell apart and my camera went blurry on me. I would definitely make this again.

Quick, easy, delicious....I think I can handle this fish thing!

Chili Rubbed Tilapia
(from FoodNetwork.com)

2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound tilapia, Pacific sole or other firm white fish fillets
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice

Combine chili powder, garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt on a plate. Dredge fillets in the spice mixture to coat. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook until just opaque in the center, gently turning halfway, 5 to 7 minutes total. Divide among 4 plates. Immediately add lemon juice.

1 comment:

That Girl said...

In honor of your confession I'll make a confession. I've only ever made fish one time in my life and that was shark. However, the entire apartment smelled SO bad after for days that the hubs suggested I not make fish again.