Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Crockpot chicken

Whole chickens were ridiculously inexpensive on sale at the supermarket last week. After reading up on a variety of recipes in my "Fix it and Forget It" cookbook and on allrecipes.com I determined I should try one in my crockpot. It came out so juicy and tender. The recipe is mostly a fusion of various recipes I read. I did stuck mostly to how I'd typically season a chicken going into the oven with a few tweaks.

And... let me just say that the Reynold's Slow Cooker Liners are so worth it - they cut my cleaning time down of my crockpot significantly! I use them all the time since I discovered them a few months back.

Crockpot Chicken


1 whole 4-5 lb chicken
1 medium onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tabelspoon butter
1/2 can chicken broth

Rinse chicken thoroughly and pat dry. Be sure to remove any innards.

Chop the onion into large hunks. Mix onion in a small bowl with 1 teaspoon minced garlic and 1/4 teaspoon celery salt. Stuff this mixture into the empty cavity of the chicken.

Season chicken with remaining minced garlic and remaining celery salt as well as pepper, paprika, and Italian seasoning. Dot top of chicken with small pieces of butter. Pour 1/2 can of chicken broth into the crockpot.

Cook chicken on low for 7-8 hours or until done. (p.s. I made a gravy with the broth/juices from the chicken by adding about 3/4 cup of water mixed with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch).



And if you don't believe me that the chicken was tender, just check out this picture! The chicken literally fell apart when I removed it from the crockpot. This made it oh so much easier to clean it all off of the bone!! (p.s. On top of the chicken those are the onions that were stuffed into the cavity).




No comments: