Sunday, February 10, 2008

A delayed entry...

Generally I actually like to go grocery shopping. I actually sort of enjoy it! What I do mind are the prices of 3 household staples:


1) Deli meat
2) Cereal
3) Pre-packaged cookies


Let's face it, these three items are WAY overpriced. I can buy a ham, cook it, slice it and get way more for my money making sandwiches that way than buying meat at the deli counter. Cereal is expensive, even on sale and with coupons. There has to be huge profit margins in that industry. And then pre-packaged cookies - those are ridiculous too. You pay, if you're lucky, $2.50 for a package of cookies, on sale.


Alas, we all have to give in to buying these items. They may be pricey, but they are often convenient. However, I like to avoid purchasing #3 when I can. Not only is my husband incredibly picky with pre-packaged cookies (I think I may have spoiled him with all of my baking) but also, I can make a batch of brownies from a box that can go pretty far and are a lot less expensive. I ran across this recipe from my hero of all heroes, Paula Deen, which was a nice twist on just using the plain old brownie mix. I made these about 2 weeks ago and totally forgot to blog about them. I used Heath Bars for thise one (Paula suggests Symphony bars). Enjoy!


Toffee Brownies
(from foodnetwork.com)

1 (17.6-ounce) package brownie mix with walnuts
Vegetable oil cooking spray
3 (6-ounce) candy bars with almonds and toffee chips (recommended: Symphony brand)

Prepare the brownie mix according to package directions.

Line a 13 by 9-inch cake pan with aluminum foil and spray with vegetable oil cooking spray. Spoon in half of the brownie batter and smooth with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Place the candy bars side by side on top of the batter. Cover with the remaining batter.

Bake according to package directions. Let cool completely, then lift from the pan using the edges of the foil. This makes it easy to cut the brownies into squares.

No comments: