Friday, June 20, 2008

Robin = Bad Blogger

I have been a bad blogger lately, my entries have been sporadic, but as I mentioned it's more because I've been cooking and baking, but since I haven't had a lot of time on my hands, much of it is nothing new or exciting to blog about.

Rewind to Sunday, however, and I did make something worth blogging about - Carrot Cake Pancakes! I just haven't gotten around to posting anything until today!

As I mentioned in my entry about the TWD Bill's Big Carrot Cake recipe, carrot cake is really something I've gained an appreciation of the past few years. I actually really enjoy the stuff now and hey, it's a way of getting veggies into your diet, right?

So, much to my excitement, I saw a commercial on TV recently for IHOP advertising their "All American Pancake" menu features, one of which being Carrot Cake Pancakes. I told my husband we needed to go there for breakfast one more to have them. I woke up on Sunday morning and while lying in bed I was thinking to myself, why pay for them, when I can just make them myself? I had all of the key players in the house - buttermilk, carrots, pecans, coconut (a great Dorie addition to carrot cake), and I even had some leftover cream cheese frosting from my most recent batch of red velvet cupcakes.

I started with a basic buttermilk pancake recipe which I found on myrecipes.com. From there I added the players above, plus some pecans. I had added a little extra buttermilk to the mixture feeling it was kind of thick. After my first batch of pancakes I found them to be a little too dense, so for the next batch I put on the griddle I added some more flour. This helped the "fluff factor" quite a bit and made for all around nicer looking pancakes (I've tried to account for those changes in my recipe). To top it all off I heated up some of that cream cheese frosting and drizzled it over the pancakes in place of maple syrup. The result - pure yumminess!


I am also submitting this entry to the Pancakes on Parade blogging event - which is exactly how it sounds! It's an event collecting pancake recipes of all sorts!


Carrot Cake Pancakes
(base of Recipe - "Basic Buttermilk Pancakes" - from myrecipes.com)



1 cup plus 2 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 plus one tablespoon cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
About 3/4 cup grated carrot (I actually gave mine a little whirl in my food processor rather than work at grating them early in the morning!)
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Cream cheese frosting, heated (just a combination of cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, butter, and some vanilla)


Whisk together first 5 ingredients, cinnamon, and nutment in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, milk, egg, and butter in a separate bowl; add to flour mixture. Then add carrots, coconut, and pecans. Whisk just until blended. Let stand 10 minutes.

Pour by 1/3 cup of batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or nonstick pan. Cook until pancakes are covered with bubbles and edges turn brown. Turn and cook other side 2 minutes or until golden brown. Drizzle with heated cream cheese frosting.

Makes about 12-14 pancakes

10 comments:

Bridget said...

What a great idea! This belongs in a restaurant...preferably one right by my house! :)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Um, hellloo! This is so inventive, its genius! I love your creativity :)

Shauna said...

I am not even a fan of carrot cake but those look amazing! I think those could possibly convert me.

That Girl said...

I love carrot cake! And even though I'm not a huge fan of pancakes, I want to make these soooo bad!

Susan said...

These look incredibly delicious, Robin! Cream cheese is a natural for carrot. Thank you for joining in Pancakes on Parade.

P.S. - Love your template. Very pretty.

Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message to visit our blog. :)

Anonymous said...

These sound absolutely heavenly! I love carrot cake and would never have thought to create a similar pancake--great recipe!

Astra Libris said...

Oooooh, your pancakes sound incredible! I love your idea of food processing the carrots - it probably creates a great texture as well as saving time! I can't wait to try your beautiful recipe!

librariane said...

I'm finally getting to Susan's round up, and as a fellow IHOP lover, this looks great! The closest pancake house to me is 30 minutes... this recipe will be in hand when I'm making pancakes next time. :)

Sandie said...

I hope I am correct in assuming this... Is it supposed to be 3/4 c. plus 1 Tbsp. buttermilk?