Thursday, July 31, 2008

*Gasp!* An update!

My lonely blog finally has an update. After 3 long weeks of absolutely no new entries I am, indeed, back - hopefully!

This Sunday I planned on making the recipe below - on the grill of course as the directions suggest. The meteorologists in the area predicted some rain, but scattered, I figured we'd make do with the possible rain forecast and still be able to use the grill. So I unthawed the pork, got the marinade going earlier in the day, and figured all would be well.

Yeah. It pretty much rained all day - and there was thunder, and lightning. It was really quite a joy. The grill option was definitely out. I mean my husband might as well just stand out there with a neon sign that says "Go ahead...strike me!" if he was going to go outside to cook on a stainless steel grill.

What was plan B? The oven, on my broiling rack - I cooked at 375 for about 10 minutes then turned the broiler on and cooked for about another 10 (which was probably a little too long) but I was desperate to try to get some fake grill marks on those suckers with my broiling rack so I turned them during the broiling process about 1/2 way through. By the way, my fake grilling mark goal didn't really work anyway!

Either way the final product was yummy and something out of the ordinary for us which was a nice change. Unfortunately I only had onions to thread on these skewers since I was too lazy to go get peppers and oh, my husband doesn't eat them anyway (he doesn't eat onions either, but that's ok because it means they were all for me!). I left out a few other items and obviously had to adapt the cooking instructions, but otherwise I really kept to this recipe pretty closely. Now I just can't wait to try it on the grill one day!



Speaking of the grill, don't forget about installment #3 of Recipe Remix - which is all about grilled favorites!

Thai Pork Satay
(from AllRecipes.com)






1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground coriander (I omitted)
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 pound pork tenderloin, cubed
1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained (I omitted)
1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 small sweet onion, chopped


In a medium bowl, mix peanut butter, green onions, soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, garlic, coriander, and cayenne pepper; add pork, and stir to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes.

Preheat grill for high heat. Thread marinated pork, water chestnuts, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and sweet onion alternately onto skewers. Transfer remaining marinade to a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and cook for several minutes.

Lightly oil grate. Cook skewers for 10 minutes, or to desired doneness. Turn skewers while grilling to cook evenly, and brush with boiled marinade during last few minutes.

4 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Yum - we love satay and of course, foods on a stick are a lot of fun to eat! :)

Liz said...

I love Thai food! This is a new recipe to me, thanks!

That Girl said...

I always eat chicken satay, but pork is a great option we should probably try!

Anonymous said...

It is really fun to browse for different recipes, I am learning a lot and also thanks for sharing your ideas because at the same time I am also trying my best to learn how to prepare (decent meals :-) Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint